The Story of Self Motivated Ones...

Friday, December 23, 2005

astrology

"When grandmother said she would speak to the family jyotish regarding an event about to take place you probably snickered at her old-fashioned ways. Today, the world will join hands with her on such a decision."
Ref:http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/msid-1336532,curpg-1.cms

Maybe the world will join, but I'll stand apart, atleast for today. Astrology is considered to be a science and there are univs producing graduates and PhDs in astrology. It had a downfall sometime back and now it started growing again and ppl are earning big bucks by predicting something. Not like a weather forecast which itself of course is not reliable. There are different kinds of 'jyotishya'. Some read cards, some stars, some go by the numbers. Almost all media - newspapers, magazines, online portals have this stuff. Some go by weeky stuff, some daily stuff etc. An year's annual rainfall also is being predicted based on some parrot picking up some card. I donno if it works but it sure sounds funny to me. Another thing worth mentioning is that www.rediff.com has put this in the fun section. the list goes like this - astrology, predictions for 2006, jokes, etc.
I remember sitting for ugadi and listening to the '&*^%_#@' whatever it is called, read out by the pandit. Almost all ppl from the colony used to be there for it and after that we used to have lunch and disperse. That was the last I would think of it. I never thought this year was going to be like this for me or anything like that. It actually never mattered to me knowing before hand what was in store for me and that too when it was told so vaguely that no solid conclusions can be made out it.
The first thing that would come up when I discuss/argue this with someone is that if I believe in god I should believe in this. Religion and astrology/horoscope are different. There are ppl practicing Hinduism and believing in Chinese horoscopes. I dont agree these two are linked and let's leave this matter for someother time.
Back to astrology again. I dont understand how can all people born in a particular month go on travelling in a week and some lucky people born in a partuicular month will gain success in business and yet another set of students born in a particular sun-sign will do well in the exams. My view about this is that all this is crap. Ok I agree that it is also a science but somehow I am unable to accept that it works. I dont say that I will believe only what all I see. I didnt verify newtons laws even though I could have tried. But somehow I was convinced probably by my teacher that it works and that's it. I believed. Worse is with quantum mechanics or the existance of atoms, molecules etc. I dont understand any math in it, but still I believe it works. Both astronomy and quantum mechanics are the same from this view point but I cannot express why I believe in one and dont in the other. I wonder if I will believe in it someday. If anyone of you guys have strong beliefs for or against this and have reasons please let me know.

1 Comments:

  • Hey man,

    We trust Quantum Mechanics because there are people around you who say it is mathematically true. We get convinced listening to this argument because they are of higher intellectual capacity to us and are trusted by everyone else. Also we know what a mathematical proof sounds or looks to be... based on our knowledge pertaining to Pythogoras Theorem or something else....

    When it comes to Astrology... We have seen most them fail... and no one argues on the mathematical certainity of it. Everyone to a degree say they believe in it and not that they can prove it... We do not know for sure why it should be correct and hence do not trust it. But, there are some things which happen for sure and we do not understand whether the person predicted it or just said whatever came to his mouth... It cannot be proved unless you torture him [The sooth sayer] and get the exact answer :).

    Pratap.

    By Blogger Pratap, at 3:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home